Sunday, October 24, 2010

Terrifying scenes in Non-Horror films

No Genre is safe. The following scenes terrified me as an adolescent child; actually they still do.

E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial
The cornfield scene, the forest scene, the garage scene, the river scene. No, I take that back - The entire film is freakin horrifying.



Uncle Buck 
Buck is a proud owner of a machete, which he conveniently stores in his trusty vigilante vehicle.   "Have you ever heard of a ritual killing? Hehehehe"



Knocked Up
 -- Delivery scene --
As a female, I will speak on behalf of my Y Chromosome populous: That shit ain’t funny. The only crown I want to see is located on the shelves of my liquor store.



Now and Then
Young adolescent females visit the town freak for a Tarot reading (played perfectly by Janeane Garofalo) and the cards reveal disturbing images. Scare bonus film character: Wiladene (Garofalo)


The Sound of Music
Some of my favorite Friends agree, The Sound of Music is a terrifying film. The majority of the population will agree: living during in the 1930s & 40s Nazi reign was absolutely horrifying. Although, the film has another hidden horror which is derived in one single frame: “You are 16 Going on 17” Gazebo Scene. Rolf kisses Liesl goodbye. Thunder and Lightning strikes. Enter Scary Liesl face and a scourching “Weeeeeeeee” to follow.
( referenced in Friends episode The One with the Ick Factor - 1995 )

The Wizard of Oz
Those flying monkeys, those damn flying monkeys...

Every Single Disney Film
Kids morphing into jackasses (literally), a mom bruttally murdered by a shotgun, a dad falling into a stampede (dying instantly), Alligators trying to eat people … By the age of 10, I graduated to Pulp Fiction. 

Get Him to the Greek
Michael Meyers? Jason Voorhies? Please. Those guys should take a trip to Disney World. Jeffrey is the scariest bloke to compromise the human race. Kids, don’t do drugs.

Batman
I debated whether to include the Burton film, notably because it will naturally contain gothic undertones.  However, the film’s dark theme, feels less Sweeney and more Comic Booky. Therefore, the terrifying Joker green goo transformation scene has earned a spot on the list. That hand...

Mean Girls
Regina George (Rachel McAdams) is the antagonist and sweet Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) is the film's protagonist (Quite ironic in real-life retrospect.) Anyway, although Miss George is a "biatch", the bus scene was a morbid disaster. Cady, keep your thoughts to yourself and not on the screen. 

Finding Nemo
Bruce: Big, scary teeth.

The Sandlot
"The Tale of The Beast" - Still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Big
Never will I ever wish upon a Zoltar. 



Hello My name is Olivia. I am a 20 something woman, and I am still terrified of E.T.

3 comments:

  1. You missed out Superman 3 when that women is transformed into a cyborg zombie thing. It still creeps me out today think about it. It was so violent and out of place in a Richard Pryor comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete