Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Is This Halloween?


It's Fall. It's October. It's Halloween. This Is Halloween... but wait, What's This? Merry Halloween?

My brain is confused. 

Why do the words Santa and Satan have to look eerily similar? Why are Christmas trees displayed at Costco? Why was Dollhouse cancelled? (Ok the last question has nothing to do with this post, but needed to be stated.)

And Now... The Ultimate Question:
Why does a certain animated feature film have the words, "Nightmare" and "Christmas" in the title? When am I suppose to watch this film, Halloween or Christmas? 
Yes, I am referring to Tim Burton's "A Nightmare Before Christmas"

The music, the characters, the brilliant CGI animation make this an imaginative dream, er, brilliant nightmare. It's been 17 years since we were introduced to beloved Jack Skellington, and the story remains iconic. I see socket eyed Jack on skater bois (sharpie tattoos/ real ink), bumper stickers, Hot Topic merchandise (Jack's Mothership), patches, etc.....   

Whether it's July 4th, or October 31st,  if Jack's smiling back at me, I can't help but stretch a wide, stitchy grin. 

But still. I can't identify the emotion I feel when I watch this film. Notably because the emotion varies according to the current season. A couple of days ago, I watched the film, and I am perplexed. 

I can merely describe my mental state as this: A complete Oxymoron. Dancing and singing dead things have lifted me into the Christmas Spirit! 

I'm going to Costco. 


No comments:

Post a Comment