Sunday, January 17, 2010

Golden Globes 2010: Nicks and Picks.. and the Official Winners



Predictions highlighted in GREEN

The nominations that I believe SHOULD win are highlighted in RED
The official winners are highlighted in PURPLE.. 
A checkmark is included if my prediction was correct.


After the ceremony, I will update the list with the ultimate winners from the evening. dah dah dum...

But for now, here's my 2 golden pence...

FULL LIST UPDATED as of 10PM Central Time 1/17/2010


For the record:


Best Speech: TIE: Jeff Bridges and Martin Scorsese

  • Bridges was talking to the people, no Hollywood plastic in tact. His speech was a conversation, not a fabrication. 
  • Scorsese is the ultimate Film Historian.

Worst Speech: James Cameron (for both acceptances) 

  • Monotone voice. Dull. Good thing he knows how to SCREAM! on the screen with visual FX. 


list courtesy of IMDB.com


Best Motion Picture - Drama


Avatar (2009) 
Up in the Air (2009/I)


Who Will Get It: Avatar
Why: The innovative technology alone, will make it the winner. In a recent conversation with a friend, he said it perfectly: "You don't see a James Cameron movie for the story.. You go for the visual experience."


Who Should Get it: Up in the Air 
Why: It is the perfect cinematic representation of today's Western society. The Generational Gap is more evident than ever: Social Media, workplace dynamic, relationships, consumerism, public transportation, homeland security,etc. This film made you THINK. My favorite film of 2009 solely because the movie opened a door of various interpretations. 
√ Actual Winner: Avatar


Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

The Hangover (2009)
Julie & Julia (2009)
Nine (2009)


Who Will Get it: It's Complicated
Why: Streep, Martin, Baldwin, and a partridge in a pear tree. Hollywood loves them.


Who Should Get it: (500) Days of Summer
Why: A love story out of the norm, starring kids only known to Generation Y...Going against Streep (x2) and Hollywood loooves musicals. Either way, it won't win. I hope I am wrong. Also, I am bias towards any film that is constructed beautifully in the post production room.  

Actual Winner: The Hangover .. my second shocker of the evening.. (read further for my first shocker of the night)


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart (2009)
George Clooney for Up in the Air (2009/I)
Colin Firth for A Single Man (2009)
Morgan Freeman for Invictus (2009)
Tobey Maguire for Brothers (2009/I)


Who Will Get it: Jeff Bridges
Who Should Get it: Jeff Bridges
Why: Hollywood loves a good Comeback

Actual Winner: Jeff Bridges


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama



Who Will Get it: Sandra Bullock
Who Should Get it: Sandra or Emily Blunt
Why: Blunt was fantastic as Victoria, but Sandra is a Hollywood gem. Perhaps Blunt will be a a more likely winner in the "prestigious" Oscar race... For the globes, Sandra's got it.

√ Actual Winner: Sandra Bullock


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Matt Damon for The Informant! (2009)
Daniel Day-Lewis for Nine (2009)

Who Will Get it: Robert Downey Jr.
Who Should Get it: Robert Downey Jr.
Why: Damn it, his time has come! (McBeal does not count)

√ Actual Winner: Robert Downey Jr.


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Sandra Bullock for The Proposal (2009/I)
Marion Cotillard for Nine (2009)
Julia Roberts for Duplicity (2009)

Who Will Get it: Streep for Julie & Julia
Who Should Get it: Streep for Julie & Julia
Why: She's Meryl Streep. And although I do not agree that Julie & Julia should be listed in the "Musical/Comedy" category .. Streep was a perfect Julia.

√ Actual Winner: Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia


Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Matt Damon for Invictus (2009)

Who Will Get it: Woody Harrelson
Who Should Get it: Woody Harrelson
Why: He had one heck of a year: Hence, a comeback love story between him and Hollytown.

Actual Winner: Christoph Waltz


Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Penélope Cruz for Nine (2009)
Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air (2009/I)
Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air (2009/I)
Julianne Moore for A Single Man (2009)

Who Will Get it: Mo'Nique
Who Should Get it: Anna Kendrick
Why: I am a HUGE fan of Vera Farmiga, but as a 20 something career woman myself, Kendrick portrayed our thumb pressing, facebook stalking, Crackberry Generation in an uncanny, realistic manner.



√ Actual Winner: Mo'Nique


Best Director - Motion Picture

James Cameron for Avatar (2009)
Clint Eastwood for Invictus (2009)
Jason Reitman for Up in the Air (2009/I)

Who Will Get it: James Cameron
Who Should Get it: Kathryn Bigelow
Why: Fantasy warfare versus Current Warefare. Pretty blue things vs. Gritty real things. Unfortunately, Cameron's brigade of smurfs will win.

√ Actual Winner: James Cameron


Best Screenplay - Motion Picture


Who Will Get it: Up in the Air
Who Should Get it: Up in the Air OR The Hurt Locker
Why: I can't choose. Moving on.

√ Actual Winner: Up in the Air


Best Original Song - Motion Picture

Avatar (2009): James Horner, Simon Franglen, Kuk Harrell("I See You")
Brothers (2009/I): U2, Bono("Winter")
Crazy Heart (2009): T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham("The Weary Kind")
Everybody's Fine (2009): Paul McCartney("(I Want To) Come Home")
Nine (2009): Maury Yeston("Cinema Italiano")



Who Will Get it: Crazy Heart
Who Should Get it: Brothers
Why: I love Bono. I am bias.

√ Actual Winner: Crazy Heart 


Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Avatar (2009): James Horner

Who Will Get it: Up - Michael Giacchino
Who Should Get it: Up - Michael Giacchino
Why: Not only is it a great score, ya gotta support the fam..

√ Actual Winner: Up - Michael Giacchino 


Best Animated Film

Coraline (2009)
Up (2009)


Who Will Get it: Up
Who Should Get it: Up
Why: Pixar dominates... for good reason. A wonderful film about age, as well as a perfect film for every age.

√ Actual Winner: Up


Best Foreign Language Film

Baarìa (2009)
La nana (2009)


Not Applicable to make a valid decision in the category. 
Actual Winner: Das weisse Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte (The White Ribbon)


Best Television Series - Drama

"Big Love" (2006)
"Dexter" (2006)
"House M.D." (2004)
"Mad Men" (2007)
"True Blood" (2008)


Who Will Get it: Mad Men
Who Should Get it: Mad Men

Why:  The lawnmower episode from this season gets my instant vote.


√ Actual Winner: Mad Men


Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy

"Entourage" (2004)
"Glee" (2009)
"The Office" (2005)
"30 Rock" (2006)


Who Will Get it: Glee
Who Should Get it: Glee
Why: A musical television show that actually carried a tune... remember the Hugh Jackman musical mess, Viva Laughlin? No???  It's ok..

Future "Future" prediction: Modern Family will get it next year.


√ Actual Winner: Glee 


Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Georgia O'Keeffe (2009) (TV)
Grey Gardens (2009) (TV)
Into the Storm (2009) (TV)
Taking Chance (2009) (TV)


Who Will Get it: Grey Gardens
Who Should Get it: Taking Chance
Why: Kevin Bacon plays a military escort officer. Emotionally riveting.

√ Actual Winner: Grey Gardens


Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

Kevin Bacon for Taking Chance (2009) (TV)
Chiwetel Ejiofor for Endgame (2009)
Brendan Gleeson for Into the Storm (2009) (TV)
Jeremy Irons for Georgia O'Keeffe (2009) (TV)

Who Will Get it: Jeremy Irons
Who Should Get it: Kevin Bacon
Why: Bacon ultimately is a one man show in this gritty, true story.

Actual Winner: Kevin Bacon 


Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

Joan Allen for Georgia O'Keeffe (2009) (TV)
Drew Barrymore for Grey Gardens (2009) (TV)
Jessica Lange for Grey Gardens (2009) (TV)
Sigourney Weaver for Prayers for Bobby (2009) (TV)

Who Will Get it: Drew Barrymore
Who Should Get it: Drew Barrymore
Why: Although I found the film a bit mundane, Veteran Hollyactor Barrymore was fantastic.

√ Actual Winner: Drew Barrymore


Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy

Alec Baldwin for "30 Rock" (2006)
Steve Carell for "The Office" (2005)
Thomas Jane for "Hung" (2009)
Matthew Morrison for "Glee" (2009)

Who Will Get it: Thomas Jane
Who Should Get it: Matthew Morrison
Why: Morrison can sing beautifully, yes, but it was the emotional monologues and beady eyes that proved he can act, too.

Actual Winner: Alec Baldwin ... shocked with the win, but extremely happy.


Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy

Edie Falco for "Nurse Jackie" (2009)
Tina Fey for "30 Rock" (2006)
Lea Michele for "Glee" (2009)

Who Will Get it: Edie Falco
Who Should Get it: Falco or Cox
Why: Mrs. Bing and Mrs. Soprano have left the building. These two are back and better than ever.

Actual Winner: Toni Collette


Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama

Michael C. Hall for "Dexter" (2006)
Jon Hamm for "Mad Men" (2007)
Hugh Laurie for "House M.D." (2004)
Bill Paxton for "Big Love" (2006)

Who Will Get it: Michael C. Hall
Who Should Get it: Michael C. Hall
Why: Previously nominated three times for "Dexter" .. Wake up, Hollywood. It's time.

√ Actual Winner: Michael C. Hall


Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama

Glenn Close for "Damages" (2007)
January Jones for "Mad Men" (2007)
Anna Paquin for "True Blood" (2008)

Who Will Get it: January Jones
Who Should Get it: January Jones
Why: Today's Grace Kelly, January Jones is Betty Draper. This season was Jones' season.

Actual Winner: Julianna Margulies


Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Michael Emerson for "Lost" (2004)
William Hurt for "Damages" (2007)
John Lithgow for "Dexter" (2006)
Jeremy Piven for "Entourage" (2004)

Who Will Get it: Neil Patrick Harris
Who Should Get it: Neil Patrick Harris
Why: Just call him Neil Patrick Hollywood.

Actual Winner: John Lithgow ... this is my shocker of the night


Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Jane Adams for "Hung" (2009)
Rose Byrne for "Damages" (2007)
Jane Lynch for "Glee" (2009)
Janet McTeer for Into the Storm (2009) (TV)

Who Will Get it: Rose Byrne
Who Should Get it: Jane Lynch
Why: My vote for Lynch is not because I am from Chicago and love Second City, or that I believe the Apatow franchise would not be half as funny or successful if Lynch was absent, or that I only watch "Party Down" for her character, or....


Actual Winner: Chloë Sevigny

4 comments:

  1. Very nice predictions.... While a few of my predictions are different I agree with your "who SHOULD get it" 95%. Question though.... Check the last prediction: Streep for Julie & Julia? While I agree she would win in every single category she's nominated in, she is not nominated in this one. But with Hollywood's obsession with her, she might get it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great catch! I was so caught up with the Streepster that my reflexes inadherently typed her name. Thank you for the correction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Avatar wins best picture I will flip a car in anger and torch it. UITA better win it or The Locker.

    I have not seen it's complicated, but don't think it would win over J&J, but (500)DOS I would love to see win, but The Hangover has a scary chance.

    Jeff or Clooney for actor.

    I have a feeling Stuhlberg might win for A Serious Man, He was really good. Holmes was decent, but not great. Jr. did play him well, but not award winning.

    Harrelson was good in The Messenger, but Christopher Waltz was great in Basterds.

    Screenplay should be Up in the Air, but director will most likely go to Cameron after all the ridiculousness he put into that film. Although I'd like to see him not win. I would like to see Distrct 9 win best screenplay to satisfy the nerd in me.

    Is It's Complicated that good? Why is it nominated so much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hurt Locker was one of those films that deserves more recognition. Maybe the Oscars will give it the credit it deserves.

    Also HBO's Taking Chance was a powerful film.

    Every American should see Taking Chance.
    It is an sensitive and important story of Marines' journey home. And it will leave you wondering about those servicemembers you may see in airports in their dress blues.

    ReplyDelete