
My DVR has ruined me.
Flash back five years ago: Pre DVR:
Senior Year in high school:
Wednesday: 3pm. Ok I have golf practice till 5, come home, watch 15 minutes of Friends on TBS, eat dinner quickly, get all my homework done.... because when 7pm hits:
Dawson's Creek is on! Will Dawson's movie get made? Wow, Pacey has a goatee?? What?
For a full hour my attention is tuned into the WB.
Flash Forward present day: DVR
22 year old college graduate
Wednesday: Just got home from work: 6:20
Finally, I've waited 9 months for this day to come. Season 5 of Lost premieres tonight, 2 hours on ABC!!!! And set DVR.
Now while I'm writing this, the Lost premiere is playing live. My favorite show, the show that keeps me guessing and pondering and trying to untangle the web of questions that have woven into my brain. But instead of watching this highly anticipated event, I'm on my computer blogging it up.
DVR has caused laziness. I used to enjoy the thrill of counting down the days, hours, minutes, until my favorite show aired. The anticipation made the television program THAT MUCH BETTER. Now I rely on my DVR system to conveniently record my shows.
I miss the thrill.
TV, why can't it be the way it was? I miss our spontaneous moments, living in the moment, not being able to look to the past or in the future, just staying in the moment.
You have changed TV, you are now a DVR. Although I know you aren't good for me, I can't leave you, you are too convenient. We have fallen into a routine, DVR, and as much as I want to break free, you reel me back in.
Ok now I'm going to go watch the season premiere of Nip Tuck, Which I recorded on January 6, 2009.
It all about convenience. Who would have thought we could view two TV shows running at the same day and same hour with out commercial interuption only at a later time.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful world we live in...