Monday, May 24, 2010

FOUND

Lost Season 6 Promo


It has been 23 hours since viewing the Series Finale of LOST: "The End" (yes I am that nerdy, subtle geekism dually noted)....

I had a Revelation: I successfully decrypted the entire premise of one of the most captivating and mysterious anthology series ever to grace television. 

6 seasons of mystery, suspense, and formulaic brilliance. Like the show, which continuously dealt with opposing forces, it is  quite appropriate that the Lost fanbase is currently 2 sided regarding the series finale. 

The Social Media Smoke Monster is quite active.

Feedback Samplings currently taking over my Facebook/Twitter/Forum feeds:
  • "am i thick if I don't totally understand it all??"
  • "after sleeping on it, I've come to the conclusion that the finale wasn't terrible and I'm liking it more and more as I think about it."
  • LOST wrote a check their ass couldn't cash.
  • LOST could have ended that way 5 seasons ago
  • Such an amazing and emotional ending to a truly great show. 
  • I'm still mad about how stupid that lost ending was. Grrrrrr.
  • Their lives were not complete and they were LOST souls. In the end, it turns out they needed each other to find their places in the world. Havent figured out if I like the ending yet...
  • LOST: 6 years leading up to nothing.
  • My first reaction to the #Lost finale: Beautifully, magical, and just as close to perfect as I needed. Well done!
  • Why did I find that so affecting, when really I should be saying WHAT!
This may disappoint a few fans, others who suffer ADD will appreciate the words displayed below. Basically, 6 years of complexities can actually be simplified into a couple of bullet points. 


Here it is....

The entire series is Jack Shepherd's story: his journey through the afterlife and ultimately finding his heaven.

 In the Lost Pilot, the first screen capture is Jack Shepherd's eye. It opens, and we, the audience become the eye. Essentially, the point of view the audience experiences in from Jack.  

  • The Island = Jack's purgatory. 
    • Reasons:
      • Dad revealed in pilot episode
      • Coffin carrying father on flight
      • Series begins with Jack's eye opening 
  • Jack Shephard's 2 Demons:
    • Daddy issues
    • Jack is a doctor, therefore a man of science. One major theme in the show was: Science vs. Faith. There are numerous instances in which Jack constantly struggled with redemption, faith, hope. 
  • Sideways Flashbacks:
    • Phase 2 of purgatory: The encounters and revelations
  • The Building
    • It is a Christian building - I will omit the term, "church", because I cannot provide enough evidence to properly label it as one (implied due to the sculptures of Saints, pews, stained glass windows, etc.) 
    • Jack found faith, peace, closure.  
    • The Building represents the final meeting place for Jack's personal heaven. He found closure: He confronted his two struggles: He embraced faith and found peace with his father, Christian Shephard. 
  • Ok, to answer a few potential questions that will surely follow after reading the above..
    • Why is this solely Jack's personal Afterlife? What about the other Losties?
      • Because we can only be certain that Jack would want those particular people in that building. 
      • The numerous religions represented amongst the Losties: 
        • Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, New Age Sprituality (Astrology, Spiritual Healing)
      • Due to information we have uncovered from character flashbacks, we cannot assume that these characters would have decided to spend his or her afterlife with the person represented in The Building. The relationships displayed in The Building are constructed by Jack. Jack only arranges what he believes would be every character's afterlife (Although Jack does not know the extensive past of every person on the island - which he clearly states to Kate in season 1 when she begins to explain her fugitive past.)
        • Sayid & Shannon - What about Nadia?
        • Locke does not have a companion, where is his fiance?
  • Essentially a spin off series could emerge. Yes, gasp, spinoff. Or, a Season 7 The only way the execs could successfully pull off an additional season is if it is marketed as a "Bonus Season," better yet, add special episodes to the LOST Entire Series Collection Set. If it is titled, "Season 7," There will be a lot of Black Smoke....  

The Pilot Episode and the Series Finale were mirror reflections of one another. To visually represent the "mirrored" effect please view screen caps below:

             

 Pilot Finale


Pilot  Finale

                                            
   Pilot  Finale


 Pilot Finale

Closure

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your perspective of the show...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I THINK THAT THEY ALL DIED AT THE MOMENT OF THE FIRST CRASH AND THE ISLAND WAS A KIND OF STEP BEFORE GOING TO THE HEAVEN OR THE HELL BECAUSE IF WE ASSUME THAT THE ISLAND WAS REEL, THE END IS KIND OF VERY DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND (SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH I'M FRENCH)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the last episode Christian states that they all died at different times. Jack died on the island, others died on the island, and the flash-sideways portions WERE a sort of purgatory but the island itself was real. Penny did not ever set foot on the island and Ben, Desmond and Juliette were never on the plane yet they were all in the church at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still believe the finale was horrid. The sideways/flash purgatory red herring nonsense was the biggest non-sequitor in TV history. It was like, "No, we have no bananas, how 'bout a nice bag of rocks instead?

    ReplyDelete