Friday, October 9, 2009

Que?


A personal photo taken Venice. I apologize for the Venetian glass reflection.
(Sorry, It's not often you can use the legit "Venetian" in front of a glass statement.


I like to travel. I love to learn and embrace a new culture. Whether it is traveling to the Appalachian Mountains or to the Tuscan Vineyards in Italy. One thing is clear: The Earth is HUGE. The U.S. is small. The numbers: The United States only consists of 3.79 million square miles. Due to recent Olympic events, U.S. citizens might start to realize this.. still applying humble ice to the ego bruise.. ah hem.  Mind you, I live in the wonderful United States of America and I love my country. It isn't about love or loathe, I'm talking about opening our eyes to other cultures! I also lived in London, UK.  I have learned one thing about the foreign perception of America. Stereotype: Hollywood. This is good and bad. Our films populate the foreign cinemas, but it is common for a country to translate a film's U.S. title to suit its particular culture. Sometimes, the language barrier is quite evident. 


Here is a list of American titles that I found, compliments of Den of Geek.



A complete list can be found at Den of Geek, but below are my personal favorites:




CHINA:


As Good As It Gets: Mr Cat Poop
Fargo: Mysterious Murder in Snowy Cream
Free Willy: A Very Powerful Whale Runs To Heaven (???)


GERMANY:
Die Hard: Die Slowly
Girl, Interrupted: Cuckoo 


ISRAEL:
Knocked Up: The Date That Screwed Me
Superbad: Super Horny


FRANCE:
Home Alone: Mom, I Missed The Plane


SPAIN:
The Dark Knight: Night Of The Knight 


PERU:
Knocked Up: Slightly Pregnant


MEXICO:
Thelma and Louise: An Unexpected End


HONG KONG:
American Pie : American Virgin Man


PORTUGAL:
Lost In Translation: Meetings and Failures in Meetings


CZECH REPUBLIC:
Bad Santa: Santa Is A Pervert


TAIWAN:
Get Smart: Is The Spy Capable Or Not

2 comments: