Saturday, February 7, 2009

-"So what's the tv show Friends about?" -"Um, friends.."



Within the past 6 years, studios have made an effort to create more catchy TV titles rather than the original “I Love Lucy”, “The Cosby Show”, “Friends”, or “The Simpsons.” Back in the day, creators used to make the title simple and to the point, but now the creators use the title to innovatively market the substance of the show. Studios have recognized that tv viewers are smarter, and they want a smart script, witty dialogue, and a 30-60 minute program with substance, which does not exclude the initial hook: The title of the program.
Here is my personal list of TV Show title winners and losers---as you can see, all these shows have premiered within the last 5 years… Please note that I have categorized the shows below solely on the TITLE not whether I enjoy the program.

WINNERS: 
Lost: not only are the islanders lost, we are too.

Heroes: Who's the hero? "Who's good and who's bad?"  Wait, there's also a character named, Hiro? Am I overthinking?

Grey’s Anatomy: Smart, Meredith Grey + book called, "Gray's Anatomy". Witty.

Nip/Tuck: The slash in between the title gives it the kudos.

Bones: Not only does Special Agent Seely call his partner, Detective Brennan, "Bones" as a nickname, they are constantly discovering and investigating well, bones..

Saving Grace: The main character is named Grace, and its about an angel who offers her a chance to redeem her life. Double meaning to the title: Nice.

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: Hate the show, smart name. It would be in fact, a really "sweet" deal to live in a hotel suite.

Tool Academy: Just fabulous.

The Office: This could be argued as a dull title, and that I have contradicted myself.. but, it's a dry title, to the point, awkward, and fits perfectly for the dry, to the point, awkward television show.

Mad Men: A great marketing title for a show about marketing men in the 50s.

Numb3rs: A little cliche (Fincher's 1995 film, Se7en) but it works. So deal.


BORING:

The Beast: Is there a werewolf in it?

The Biggest Loser: a prime example of our society's way of thinking: fat people are losers. Sad. Just Sad. 

Chelsea Lately: Great show, but awkward title

The Girls Next Door: I don't know about you, but I have lived in 5 different locations in my life and I have never lived beside 3 girls next door who look or act like Kendra, Holly, or Bridgett. (even in my sorority house)

No comments:

Post a Comment